Dental Implants in San Diego, CA
Reliable and Long-Lasting Solutions for Strong, Beautiful Smiles
Are you tired of hiding your smile due to missing teeth or uncomfortable dentures? you may be a candidate for dental implants. Fine Dentistry of San Diego offers dental implants that restore your teeth, providing you with a fully functional, long-lasting smile.
Our Mission Hills implant dentist, Dr. Sabine Purps, has helped countless patients in Chula Vista, National City, and Lincoln Acres, CA. Say goodbye to unattractive gaps and hello to a confident, radiant smile.
What Are Dental Implants?
When it comes to replacing missing, broken, or diseased teeth, dental implants offer a permanent and natural-looking solution. Tooth implants enhance the appearance of your smile and play a crucial role in preventing bone loss, which can occur when teeth are missing for extended periods. By surgically placing a replacement tooth root, implants promote the health and stability of the surrounding bone.
Types of Dental Implant Restorations
Our implant services cater to various needs, including:
- Same-Day Implants: Extraction of damaged teeth and immediate placement of implants in a single visit, minimizing downtime.
- Multiple Tooth Replacements: Implant-supported dental bridges or the placement of multiple implant posts and dental crowns to address sporadic tooth loss or groups of missing teeth.
- Full-Arch Replacements: Long-lasting solutions for individuals missing all of their teeth, including implant dentures. Full-arch implants also provide stability for loose and uncomfortable dentures.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer numerous benefits for individuals seeking a reliable and long-lasting solution for missing teeth. Some key advantages include:
- Enhanced Appearance: Dental implants closely resemble natural teeth, providing a seamless and aesthetically pleasing smile. They are custom-made to match the color, shape, and size of your existing teeth, ensuring a natural-looking result.
- Improved Functionality: Dental implants function like natural teeth, allowing you to chew, speak, and bite with confidence. Unlike removable dentures, implants are securely anchored in the jawbone, providing stability and preventing slippage.
- Longevity: With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime. They are designed to be a durable and permanent solution for missing teeth, offering a high success rate and reliability.
- Preservation of Bone Health: When a tooth is lost, the underlying jawbone can deteriorate over time. Dental implants help stimulate the bone, preventing bone loss and preserving the overall structure and integrity of the jaw.
Candidacy for Dental Implants
While dental implants are a suitable solution for many individuals, not everyone may be an ideal candidate. Factors that can affect candidacy include:
- Sufficient Bone Density: Adequate jawbone density is necessary to support the dental implant. In cases where bone density is insufficient, bone grafting procedures may be required to augment the bone.
- Good Oral Health: Candidates for dental implants should have a healthy mouth. Existing dental problems should be addressed and resolved before undergoing the implant procedure.
- Overall Health: Certain medical conditions, such as uncontrolled diabetes or autoimmune disorders, may affect the success of dental implant treatment. Discuss your medical history with your dentist to determine if implants are a suitable option for you.
The Dental Implant Process
During the first visit, your dentist will assess your oral health, discuss your treatment goals, and determine your suitability for dental implants. X-rays or CT scans may be taken to evaluate bone density and plan the implant placement.
Your initial consultation is a good time to ask questions and voice concerns. For example, if you’re feeling nervous about the procedure, talk to your dentist about sedation dentistry options.
The dental implant resembles a small screw and is surgically placed into the jawbone. Local anesthesia is administered to ensure a comfortable procedure. Over time, the implant integrates with the bone through osseointegration.
Healing and Osseointegration
It takes several weeks to six months for the implant to fully bond with the jawbone. During this healing period, a temporary crown or bridge may be placed to maintain aesthetics and function.
Once the implant has fused with the jawbone, an abutment is attached to the implant. The abutment serves as a connector between the implant and the final restoration.
A custom-made dental crown, bridge, or denture is fabricated to match your natural teeth. This restoration is then attached to the abutment, providing a functional and lifelike replacement for the missing tooth or teeth.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do dental implants last?
Dental implants are a long-term solution for missing teeth that can last 25 years to a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. Regular dental check-ups, good oral hygiene practices, and avoiding habits like smoking can contribute to the longevity of dental implants.
How much do dental implants cost?
The cost of dental implants can vary depending on several factors, including the number of implants needed, the complexity of the case, additional procedures like bone grafting, and the location of the dental practice. Consult with your implant dentist for a personalized treatment plan and a cost estimate.
Do dental implants hurt?
No, dental implants don’t hurt. The dental implant procedure is typically performed under local anesthesia, ensuring that patients feel little to no pain. Some discomfort or mild soreness may be experienced after the surgery, but this can usually be managed with over-the-counter pain medications. Your dentist will provide instructions for post-operative care to help minimize discomfort.
Do dental implants look like teeth?
Yes, dental implants are designed to closely resemble natural teeth in both appearance and function. The dental crowns or restorations attached to the implants are custom-made to match the color, shape, and size of your existing teeth, resulting in a seamless and natural-looking smile. Dental implants offer a highly aesthetic solution for replacing missing teeth.
Restore Your Smile with Durable Dental Implants
At Fine Dentistry, Dr. Purps and our team believe in a personalized approach to dental implant treatment. They strive to identify the underlying issues that have led to the need for tooth replacement, creating a comprehensive plan to prevent similar problems in the future and ensure the success of your dental implant treatment. Call our San Diego, CA, office at (619) 295-6500 to schedule your consultation.